Global March For Elephants & Rhinos: Oct. 4th 2014
World Animal Day- How will you show support?
“Only when the last of the animals horns, tusks, skin and bones are sold, will Mankind realize that money can never buy back our wildlife.” – Wild at Heart.
Saturday, October 4th is World Animal Day. What better way to celebrate all of the amazing species on Mother Earth than to participate in a world-wide march to honor the Rhinos and Elephants killed by poachers? Every hour, Africa loses 4 elephants at the hands of poachers, and every hour, Africa loses 3 rhinos at the hands of poachers. These magnificent creatures are being brutally murdered for their ivory and rhino horn, with 70% of the world’s ivory ending up in China and being made into trinkets, with rhino tusks being used for “medicinal purposes”.
When a poacher was asked what he and his poaching “crew” were poaching, he responded, “whatever we can and whatever we are asked for. The money is in rhino horn and elephant tusks or any part of the body that has demand. The feet from this elephant will become footstools.”
What can we do to help?! Global March for Elephants and Rhinos gives the following advice:
“* All African elephant- and rhino-range countries must implement and enforce strict laws and penalties that are harsh enough to deter poachers and all those involved in wildlife crimes.
* All consumer and transit countries must adopt stringent legislation with regards to wildlife crimes; harsher sentences need to be enforced when the poachers and traffickers are found guilty.
* All countries – especially China and the USA and other top consumer countries – must adopt outright bans on the ivory trade.
* Countries must enact laws to ban the importing of hunting trophies of endangered animals.
* WE, THE PEOPLE, must take every opportunity and use all means to advocate and spread the message that elephants and rhinos are being killed every day and we may soon lose them FOREVER.
* The South African government must be urged to show increased urgency and political will in tackling the rhino poaching crisis with emphasis on targeting the syndicate heads and applying more stringent laws to prevent bail grants to accused poachers.”
WHEN: Saturday, October 4, 2014 @ 11am-2pm WHERE: La Brea Tar Pits, 5801 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90036
Please join us as this Saturday, October 4th, as a collective voice to march against extinction. In Los Angeles, CA, we will also be marching to bring awareness to canned lion hunting in South Africa. If you are unable to join us in person, please visit http://www.march4elephantsandrhinos.org/ to find a march in a city near you. Please share with us your photos and tweets by using the hashtags #GenerationAwakening, #JoinTheCharge and #AfricanWildlifeSOS.